Review: John Dies at the End by David Wong

John Dies at the End  - David Wong

John Dies at the End is one of those books that when asked to explain the plot, you can hardly do it justice. You’ll either sound crazy or….well, you’re just going to sound crazy. See, let me try. It’s about two friends named John and David who take this drug called Soy Sauce. It makes them see things but it really just opens up another world to them. Or let’s try this. Things you will read about in this book: Soy Sauce, Morgan Freeman, and a bratwurst telephone. See? None of that makes sense and would probably just put people off from reading it. But please, don’t be afraid.

If you’ve only seen the movie, then you’re sorely missing out. While there were some awesome moments from the book, there was so much more to the story that couldn’t fit in the timeframe of a movie. The movie was like someone had pulled out a handful of pages from the beginning, middle, and end of the book and tried to tie it all together as quickly as possible.

The humor may be juvenile at times, but the story is so imaginative and off the wall that it more than makes up for it (if you don’t like that sort of thing). This book goes off the deep end and keeps swimming. But it’s good. Crazy good.

It does get a little long after a while and I did find myself dragging my feet at the 400 page mark. It felt that after reading pages and pages about aliens, exploding bodies, talking dogs, and spiders that my brain could only hold so much. If it wasn’t for David Wong’s writing, I don’t think I would have ever finished a book like this.

Basically, If you haven’t read this book, you’re already behind. Pick it up. Read it. And prepare yourself for the craziest ride you’ll ever experience.

(For more, check out: The Short Read)